BOLA DISCO CON CD´S
Gather your unwanted CDs.
Cut each CD into little squares.
Kitchen shears are better for this job. This could ruin a good pair of scissors. Also, the scissors shouldn’t be thin, or else your hands will ache.
To soften the CDs for cutting (and reduce splintering) dip the CD into boiling water without letting it touch the bottom of the pot. Pull it out before it starts to warp (this might take a little experimenting on your part to determine how long they need to be dipped). Wear gloves while cutting the CD while it’s still warm.
1. Collect the squares in a pile. You will end up with all different sizes of little squares.
2. Fetch the Styrofoam ball and glue gun.
3. Put a hole through the ball with a bamboo skewer or any thing else. Run some fishing wire or a string through the ball and knot into a loop from which the ball can be hung.
4. Start by gluing the little squares from the center of the ball. Work your way up and down. Continue until the ball is covered. Leave the top of the disco ball, where the loop comes out, for last. It’s a good place to put irregular bits and pieces because it’s the least conspicuous.
5. Hang the ball. You now have a mini disco ball and you’ve reused the old CDs!
* The squares do not need to be even but aim to keep them around the same size when cutting, as this assists with keeping them together neatly on the ball as you glue it.
* If you are using craft glue rather than a hot gun, have some towels to wipe away any drips.
* You can color the pieces with permanent marker to give the ball a multi-colored effect.
* When using a hot glue gun, have a bowl of ice water handy so that you can dip a burned finger in immediately to ward off the pain so you can keep on going
* Some CDs are silver on both sides, so with CDs like this, be sure to put the shiny side out.
* You can use old records for this project too! Just put the shiny black part facing out.
* Get a toy motor (e.g. by LEGO® or K’NEX) to let your disco ball turn. Also, if you use K’NEX, the motor could be attached to a long string of K’NEX rods and connectors.
* Be sure to not cut yourself with the CD pieces.
* Be sure to exercise caution around hot glue guns.
* Make sure they are un-wanted by EVERYONE, people tend to get mad if they find their favourite CD that you hate cut into little pieces. ie. dont cut up a younger sisters Hannah Montanna CD we all know its bad but she will hate you for it.
Things You’ll Need
* Old, unwanted, skipping, or badly burned CDs
* Styrofoam ball (craft store)
* Glue gun or craft glue
* Bamboo skewer or a stick
* Fishing line or a string
Sources and Citations
* VideoJug A video demonstration of making the disco ball out of junk CDs. Original source of article. Shared with permission and appreciation.
Article provided by wikiHow, a wiki how-to manual. Please edit this article and find author credits at the original wikiHow article on How to Make a Disco Ball with CDs. All content on wikiHow can be shared under a Creative Commons license.